Southern Spars’ rigged Soto 30 One Design is coming!
Source: Southern Spars / Sotto30
The mast, one of the most important components of the Soto 30.
The Soto 30 One Design mast is manufactured in a female tool using 100% standard modulus Pre-preg carbon fibre. This method allows us to place internal patching exactly where required for maximum benefit whilst producing a smooth external surface which generates the lowest possible windage and increases aesthetic appeal.
The boom is a lightweight aluminum extrusion, anodized black to match the mast finish. Sail control is provided for by an efficient 8:1 Spectra outhaul as well as an internal 24:1 vang purchase which gets lead via the boom inboard end down to the deck, keeping things uncluttered.
Additional high performance features of the spar package include:
GENOA HALYARD LOCK Custom designed to suit the Soto 30, benefits include:
• Effectively halving the mast compression caused by the genoa luff tension which allows us to build a lighter tube for the same bend characteristics
• Enables faster hoists as the halyard is locked into position without need for adjustment; reduces wear on the genoa halyard caused by movement over the sheave;
• Allows for faster jib drops
MAIN HALYARD LOCK
• CNC machined components guarantee uniformity & keep weight to a minimum. Additional advantages include:
• Ensures main halyard is hoisted to the correct height, every time
• Effectively halves mast compression caused by the mainsail luff
• Reduces chafe on the main halyard caused by movement over the sheave
JIB CUNNINGHAM SYSTEM – incorporates a lightweight carbon fibre jib tack shuttle, also:
• Allows crew to easily & constantly adjust the jib tack height (hence the luff tension) thus changing the sheeting angle in response to gusts, allowing you to de-power when you need to.
SOTO 30 ONE DESIGN HIGH PERFORMANCE SPAR PACKAGE
INTERNAL MAST JACK SYSTEM
• A 5T hydraulic jacking cylinder in conjunction with a 39.5mm fine tune shim stack means mast tension can be quickly and easily adjusted to suit a variety of conditions, giving you greater control over your rig setup.
AERODYNAMIC CARBON SPREADERS- fitted with lightweight, removable, tip cup styled end fittings, extra benefits are:
• A clean spreader end which won’t snag your spinnaker during hoists & douses
• Easy removal of your side rigging for transport.
SOUTHERN SPARS REGATTA SPLICE – uniquely Southern Spars feature:
• Enables the mast to be repeatedly split into 2 pieces to facilitate transport between regattas, whilst maintaining the bend & performance characteristics of a one-piece mast.
DYNEX DUX TOPMAST RUNNING BACKSTAYS – the lightest solution for a backstay:
• Low stretch & high strength characteristics give you more control over head stay tension and mainsail trim.